You might notice that these bows have been getting stronger and stronger, while selling for less money. (You can all thank Blizzard for increasing your drop rates!)
See how much it sold for after the jump.
See how much it sold for after the jump.
I know what you're thinking:
No more articles about flipping! They are boring and flipping items contributes nothing to the economy. You are just taking advantage of people!
Fine.
Time for a totally new topic!
Chipotle burritos
Here's my favorite Chipotle burrito combination. It's the one I go for if I want something tasty.
- White rice, black beans. I eat pintos at home, so I go for the difference.
- Steak. Grilled. Medium-rare. Yum!
- Fresh tomato salsa, with a little bit of hot salsa. Don't want to overpower the other flavors.
- Sour cream. Keeps the burrito from falling apart.
- Cheese. This along with the sour cream turns the burrito from a conglomeration of ingredients into a work of edible art.
From the first bite to the last, this burrito oozes creamy goodness. It's spiked with the perfect amount of spiciness, and you'll never forget the juicy succulence of the medium-grilled steak. (Part 1 of the burrito series is here!)
Oh right, this is still a Diablo 3 blog. Today's topic is about flipping on the RMAH.
Buy Battle.net Bucks
I don't mean to buy them with Paypal cash or your credit card. "Buy" them with your items.
When you make a sale on the RMAH, it's a very good idea to get them in Battle.net Dollars (BDollars) instead of sending it straight to Paypal. I discussed this a bit in the money article.
The reason you do this is so you can use BDollars to reinvest and play the RMAH. Why limit yourself to only flipping the gold AH market? Without BDollars, you can't use the RMAH at all. And here's a preview for the rest of the article: The RMAH is where the real money is at.
The reason you do this is so you can use BDollars to reinvest and play the RMAH. Why limit yourself to only flipping the gold AH market? Without BDollars, you can't use the RMAH at all. And here's a preview for the rest of the article: The RMAH is where the real money is at.
For the majority of my flips, I do both sides of the flipping in the RMAH. I buy items on the RMAH, and then resell them on the RMAH.
Why?
Because flipping on the RMAH is the most profitable venture in the game. I guarantee it. Try it yourself. If you don't make money, simply leave your credit card number in the comments along with personal information, and I'll personally fill it up with money.
Let's go through the reasons for using the RMAH instead of the gold AH.
Your money is safe
Reason 0: Your money holds value as long as it's in BDollars.
Gold depreciates. Money does not. Simple as that.
There are various ways of gauging the effective $:gold ratio. Because the gold commodity sale is fixed by Blizzard, it is not a good way to indicate the correct ratio. Instead, look at the other commodities. Namely, gems. Radiant Star gems go for 27-30$ on the RMAH, and from 15-20m gold on the gold AH. Because the 15% fee applies to both markets, you only need to divide between the two to get the current ratio, which is around 1.5$ per million gold.Of course, this does not explain why flipping on the RMAH is profitable. But it should add some assurance that you aren't chasing some shooting star like you would in the gold AH: You aren't earning gold while the value of gold itself drops.
Spare me a dollar?
Reason 1: For sales in the RMAH, there is only a 1$ fee per transaction.
Think about it: Would you rather take a 15% hit or a 1$ hit? When flipping items that are 100$ each, that 1$ fee is nothing. It's a flipper's paradise. No longer do you need to make back the 15% sale fee on the gold AH on top of whatever meager profits you can squeeze out.
If you buy something for 100$ and flip it for 108$, then you've got yourself a Chipotle burrito.
If you buy something for 100m and flip it for 108m, then you're an idiot. You've lost (100m - 108m * (1 - .85)) = 8.2m gold.
If you buy something for 100$ and flip it for 108$, then you've got yourself a Chipotle burrito.
If you buy something for 100m and flip it for 108m, then you're an idiot. You've lost (100m - 108m * (1 - .85)) = 8.2m gold.
Even if you sell something for as low as 7$, the 1$ RMAH fee is more profitable than a 15% cut: (7$ * 0.15) = 1.05$ fee. In that regards, you should be selling anything that's 7$ (~3m gold) or more on the RMAH.
The takeaway? Stop selling in the gold market. Move all your big-item transactions to the RMAH.
Let's brainstorm the uses of gold:
Gold: Use the gold market to fund your crafting, find the occasional good item on the ah, and price comparisons. If your gold becomes too light, then flip some of your items in gold. If your gold becomes too heavy, then buy items and flip them on the RMAH side.
RMAH: Use the RMAH to do the majority of flipping and trades in. If your RMAH becomes too heavy, then you should cash out via Paypal (or other techniques described later). If your RMAH becomes too light, then you are somehow doing it wrong. BDollars should be the most important resource to keep a large quantity of at all times.
The takeaway? Stop selling in the gold market. Move all your big-item transactions to the RMAH.
What is it gold for?
![]() |
| absorutery nothing! |
- Crafting & materials
- Upgrading gems
- Repairs
- Using the Gold AH
In-game trades
- Assuming that you use the RMAH to buy the majority of your items, you should only be using the gold AH only when you see a cheap deal or need the occasional small item that isn't expensive enough to be on the RMAH. In this use-case, you don't need to keep around too much gold: 10m should be enough.
- If you craft properly, you should be able to bankroll yourself indefinitely by selling your goods back on the gold AH that recoup your costs, and the rest on the RMAH. The amount of gold to sustain really depends on how lucky you are. For crafting, I would guess and say 20m is safe.
Gold: Use the gold market to fund your crafting, find the occasional good item on the ah, and price comparisons. If your gold becomes too light, then flip some of your items in gold. If your gold becomes too heavy, then buy items and flip them on the RMAH side.
RMAH: Use the RMAH to do the majority of flipping and trades in. If your RMAH becomes too heavy, then you should cash out via Paypal (or other techniques described later). If your RMAH becomes too light, then you are somehow doing it wrong. BDollars should be the most important resource to keep a large quantity of at all times.
I actually alluded to this in my first post.
The RMAH is kind of a wild beast compared to the gold auction house. There are people who try to maximize value on their so-called godly items, and then there's people putting stuff up for 10$ to see if the system even works. What you will see are items priced at the absurd 250$; and similar, if not better items at 10$. Kind of a hard environment to actually sell anything.
Yeah, the key to flipping has been here since the first post.
What I was trying to say, backhandedly, is that flipping is amazing on the RMAH. Buying items for 10$ and flipping them back for 250$ happens.
What I was trying to say, backhandedly, is that flipping is amazing on the RMAH. Buying items for 10$ and flipping them back for 250$ happens.
Reason 2: The RMAH is filled with misinformed and skewed prices.
I can posit a couple of reasons for this:
I can posit a couple of reasons for this:
- Players trying to get whatever money they can. These people don't follow or understand the $-gold ratio because any money is good money to them. Most likely, they believe in a flawed version of common sense where virtual items aren't worth real money. Remember when you sold your first item for 20$ and thought, Wow, I can't believe there's someone stupid enough to buy this... only to later realize that the item was worth 50m?
I haven't, shut up, quit making fun of me. - Other players simply don't understand the ratio. A newbie could see 1$/m gold on the forums and base his RMAH sales around it.
- Some players think 250$ is the best of the best. I've bought things listed for the RMAH cap of 250$ and sold them back for 200m on the gold AH.
- The RMAH has much less traffic. Less traffic = fewer items ending up selling = people tend to lower their prices more drastically to sell items. It also means that there are less bidding wars. Because people buy less on the RMAH, prices get stale quickly and the market will try to shift prices lower to account for the lack of demand. Because you are flipping items, the profit margin insulates you from this shift.
- The RMAH isn't infested with bots that will shark cheap items as soon as they are listed. Think about it from a botter's perspective: They have billions of gold to play with. Why would they ever leave the Gold AH?
- The RMAH has less auctions. Have you ever tried to sell your item and you couldn't find a similar item to set your price against? Prices are naturally going to bounce around because there are less items on the RMAH: Items are only worth as much as the context provides. If there's 2 similar items that are worth 15$, then I could say that my item is also worth 15$. Now, if they both dissapeared, then my item suddenly loses an accurate sense of value. This doesn't happen on the gold AH because there are usually 1000 things that look like yours. But on the RMAH, it's a different story.
Got miracle?
Last night, I was trying to win a Natalya's chest plate with a 137 dex roll on the RMAH. The bid was at 20$ at the time and it seemed like a great deal: I did a search earlier and the closest item was 40$. But there was a problem; I needed to go buy some milk. It does a body good.I couldn't make a snipe bid to win the auction when it ended because I would be out purchasing some moo-juice. So I compromised and put up a max bid of 25$, with an hour to go on the auction. Hopefully, nobody would fight me and I could get away with the armor for around 20-25$.
But fate wouldn't have that, because the original player who bid the 20$ was sitting next to his computer, drinking a cool glass of ice-cold refreshing milk this whole time. He instantly counter-attacked with a 27$ bid.
Luckily, I hadn't left my computer yet, so I threw back a ~28$ bid.
It wasn't even enough to break his bid. He must have put down 30$, because the bid shot up to 29$ with him still in the lead.
At this point, I could have just
Perhaps the item has changed value from a day ago.
I started typing in a query on the RMAH to see what a 137 dex roll was going for. I simply wanted to verify that a 35$ bid is still a good price to pay. But what I saw on the search results shocked me.
There was an even better Nat's armor roll. For only 20$.
A miracle! I snapped it up right away.
Of course, anyone can attribute that to lucky and stupidity. After all, it only takes one idiot to list a 138 dex roll for 20$. But I strongly believe that part of this failure was due to the small size of the RMAH. I verified this by doing a search for dex rolls around 130: There were none listed at the time. There were only 120's going for 15$, and 140s going for much more. I suppose the seller made his best guess and went with 20$. This would never happen in the gold AH where there is a Nat's armor for every dex range.
The other takeaway is that prices change swiftly on the RMAH. If enough people posted a 138 roll at 20-25$, my bid of 30$ on the 137 roll would have been foolish. It only takes a few sellers to drastically skew the RMAH market in one direction or another. Because of these swings, it just takes a little bit of experience and good timing to snap up good deals. What fun is an investment vehicle where the prices never change?
Too much money
Let's say you follow my advice...
...and it works for you! You now have a very respectable 250 BDollars. Good job! Every time you make a sale, it will now get dumped into Paypal by default. While this is a convenience for some people, it's actually an enormous hassle for those who really want to flip the RMAH.
Why?
Because 250$ is not that much money on the RMAH. For me, that might be 10-15 items. I would run out of BDollars very quickly if I only had 250 BDollars to work with.
Note: If you add money from Paypal into your Bdollars, you technically aren't paying a fee. But think about it for a moment: when you turn BDollars -> Paypal, you will pay a 15% fee. In other words, if you do Paypal -> BDollars, you are committing yourself to pay that 15% fee in the future, because the intention is that you will eventually cash out your BDollars. Not worth it.
Luckily, there are a couple good solutions for maintaining an effective Battle.net Balance of more than 250 BDollars:
Let's talk a little bit more about the bow itself. I won't go into full detail about how I flipped it; see the previous article if you want an in-depth look on what goes through my head.
In short, I bought it for 8$ (heavily mispriced), and sold it for a respectable amount. This was not difficult for me becauseI've got a reasonably good grasp of the bow markets every other similar bow was 20$. Scroll down to see how much my bow flipped for on the RMAH.
...and it works for you! You now have a very respectable 250 BDollars. Good job! Every time you make a sale, it will now get dumped into Paypal by default. While this is a convenience for some people, it's actually an enormous hassle for those who really want to flip the RMAH.
Why?
Because 250$ is not that much money on the RMAH. For me, that might be 10-15 items. I would run out of BDollars very quickly if I only had 250 BDollars to work with.
One of the key problems with Blizzard's RMAH is the 250$ cap. Any incoming money when you are at the maximum will spill into your Paypal. In the money article, I've suggested that the reason for the 250$ cap is for legal purposes. I imagine there is some compliance policy that must be met for Blizzard to support a larger cap. This means that there are additional audits they have to run and pay for in order to support this.Because all the extra money gets spilled into Paypal, it's effectively "cashed out". That money is not available to you to invest in flips anymore. Bummer.
Note: If you add money from Paypal into your Bdollars, you technically aren't paying a fee. But think about it for a moment: when you turn BDollars -> Paypal, you will pay a 15% fee. In other words, if you do Paypal -> BDollars, you are committing yourself to pay that 15% fee in the future, because the intention is that you will eventually cash out your BDollars. Not worth it.
Luckily, there are a couple good solutions for maintaining an effective Battle.net Balance of more than 250 BDollars:
- You are prevented from sending sales to your BDollars if it puts you over 250. So spend your BDollars on something. Spend some time and find items to flip in the RMAH. As long as you keep doing this, your assets will be tied into items and your Battle.net Balance will remain healthy.
- If you don't have time to find items to flip and need to move money fast, then you can make a fail-bid. Find an item that has a low bid price that doesn't expire soon. Put a bid on it (but not too high, unless you want to win it). Hopefully nobody will outbid you until it almost ends. You've effectively hid your money for a day!
- Buy gold. Reinvest into gold for crafting and gold AH purchases. Remember that you incur an implicit fee when buying gold (because turning it back into BDollars is hard). But that's not what I want you to do. What I mean is that you should buy items with your BDollars, and then flip the item for gold. By doing a flip, you are effectively shielding yourself from the fees by nature of the of the profit margin.
- Give me your money. I'll pay you back when you want it. I'm good for it, I swear!
- Transfer your balance to a friend or a second account.
Let's talk a little bit more about the bow itself. I won't go into full detail about how I flipped it; see the previous article if you want an in-depth look on what goes through my head.
In short, I bought it for 8$ (heavily mispriced), and sold it for a respectable amount. This was not difficult for me because









Adding on to how to store your BN Balance, in the event you don't actually have something to flip --> FAT GEMS
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with the heavy mispricing of items on the RMAH. I snapped a barb chest with 18% MF, 160 Str 130 Vit 39 All Resist for $3... I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw it.
You effectively lose 15% when you buy a commodity that isn't going to increase in value because of the fee when you try to cash it back in. :(
DeleteThis is still the best approach:
5. Give me your money. I'll pay you back when you want it. I'm good for it, I swear!
I love reading your blog. Unfortunately I play on EU server and can't try your tips in game. EU AH/RMAH is dead compared to US. When I do 90% or even 80% search I get 5-7 results, same search on US gives several pages.
ReplyDeleteI wonder it's because less people playing or less bots? :)
I really like Chipotle burritos, too, but with way less sour cream and cheese (lactose!). Between Chipotle and Hi-Tech Burrito, I'd go to Chipotle. Nice flipping!
ReplyDeleteDo you tend to setup your rmah auctions with buyouts or without?
ReplyDeleteI've been playing since day one, putting up stuff on the rmah that is of epic quality and trying to do so at different hour/day combinations, and at low to high bids/buyouts.
I have so far, not sold one item.
I put buyouts and heavily undercut items that are close to mine. If you properly price your item where it deserves to go, it will never sell. I believe that players tend to scour the RMAH for deals, not just for buys.
DeleteAll us bay area D3 players should meet up at Chipotle...What do you think Yun?
ReplyDeleteI dunno, I haven't left my parent's basement for weeks. I never actually bought that milk...
DeleteHaha houses in the bay area don't have basements!
DeleteI didn't want to have to admit that I live in a barn-shaped shack behind my parents house.
DeleteAfter putting together that spreadsheet i linked you and compiling data from this week alone, my roi is over 300% thus far. That approximately puts me at 1000 a week. Not to shabby.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this blog. Everything is well-organized and humorous. I followed your advice on crafting and have made a 100% profit when essences were 600g. I'm curious about your thoughts on the sharp rise in essence prices since last weekend (900g on monday, 800g wednesday).
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, changes in essence prices don't phase me at all. It simply doesn't affect the bottom line enough to make a difference.
DeleteNow, if essences went up to like 10k each (which effectively 4x's the total cost of crafting), then I might actually stop crafting. But the difference between 600 and 700 is just a small difference that can be ignored (100g is like ~+3% in total crafting cost).
what were you crafting? just curious.
DeleteI went out and bought a recipe to try my hand at crafting (only did flipping/found sales so far).
ReplyDeleteOn understanding what to sell :
Have you found it possible to sell your crafts with stats that roll less than 75% perfect?
Where would you say the border is on stats that sell?
Say, your trying to sell a monk item and it gets solid all resist, plus a solid extra bonus resist, but the stat rolls are only about 50% of max; Would you likely sell an item like this?
I found it really difficult to sell items with low stats :/ but 75% of 200 is still 150! That's not bad at all! Especially if it comes with a vitality roll :)
DeleteI think that a lot of items with a high number of useful stats are just having a hard time getting found while we are still limited to only 3 affixes to search from. While I don't expect to get huge sales off most of them, I am fairly sure some of my monk/regen/thorns gear would sell better if people could search for core stats as well as these more niche ones.
DeleteI hope that blizzards puts a few more available affixes for search(like they said they were). With all the class changes that are being made, I am sure people(myself included) will want to toy around with less traditional builds/gear.
EDIT: Reposted to fix a spelling error.
Being able to search for 4+ criteria is definitely a must-have skill for any crafter. I have been working on an article concerning this for quite a while, but it's missing a key component; there's really no amazing technique besides scanning pages and pages of AH results and trying to look for something close. (Besides the Armor 4th criteria technique which is awesome).
DeleteI figure that with the 1.04 changes, if they do introduce 6 affix searches, I can just simply never finish that article.
Here's a stumper of a 6-affix roll:
114 dex
87 vit
47 fire resist
177 armor
150 life regen
11 move speed
^ Stuff like these make me rage because I have to spend 10 minutes trying to figure out the price. :D
Hi Yun,
DeleteFirst of all let me commend you on your blog. It's always a fun read with useful information included, although you have been slacking on the updates lately ;)
Items like the one above are interesting in that they are actually quite useful, but totally hopeless in the AH environment of today.
First of all, scouring the AH to get a "pricecheck" of an item has the exact same implications as potential customers will have in finding your item. I.e. if YOU can't use the stats to search for equal items, then odds are the customers won't find yours either.
These boots only have a single strong mod which is commonly searched for, the runspeed. The Dex is low for boots and many players won't even go as low as 100+ on searches. Add the fact that they are best for firemonks, which might be 4% (?) of the total playerbase and you have limited your potential customerbase to a select few. I am not saying the boots are bad, just that they are bad from a selling point of view.
Personally I keep items like these in a corner of my stash and put one up for sale now and then whenever I can spare the slots. I assume they won't sell for 36h and act accordingly. The price I just wing based on experience and general knowledge, usually a lot lower than what it could be if more people could catch it in their searches.
Well, I can either play the game or write the blog. And I can tell you for a fact that only one of those endeavors is profitable! :D
DeleteOnto your comments:
You are completely right about the "if I can't price it, then they won't see it" rule. If an item has high primary attributes, I always take the time to look for a fair price, because the difference between 20$ and 100$ is huge. On the flip side, boots like the one I listed above is really either a 100k pair or maybe a 1m pair at best. It nags me not because I'm really losing out on much money, but because it goes from a "I'd sell that for 1m" to vendor trash.
The whole "save the cheapo boots for when you are too busy to spend time to price items" technique is great too. I keep a pile of 200k boots that I save for early mornings when I just want to see what I sold and get out of the house. It's a quick profit that doesn't really impact anything. When I come home, I just buy back my own boots if they didn't sell, and list something real.
I can't write an extremely long reply without at least one protip: This morning I woke up and had 11 items sold on the GAH, and 5 items sold on the RMAH. This is because I spent around 2 hours last night crafting and pricing properly. I hadn't sold much for the past couple of days because I was busy and didn't have much time to price properly, so my prices were a bit out of date (and naturally didn't sell).
My advice is this: don't speed-relist items if you know you will have some time to properly price them in the next day. Otherwise, you're fueling a continuous cycle of speed-relisting and wasting slots.
I didn't mean to shoot you down for not blogging, I just enjoyed the daily giggles and anecdotes :)
DeleteWould love to discuss some more, but being in Europe kinda kills the possibilities I guess :(
Any idea if a Natalya's Mark will go up or down come 1.04?
ReplyDeleteI'd guess up but that's all subject to change, my friend.
ReplyDeleteI want to cash out $150 from my battle net account. If I bid on my own auction to transfer cash to paypal won't my account be flagged for suspicious activity?
ReplyDeleteThe EULA basically says that battle net funds belong to Blizzard and have no value.
You can't bid on your own auctions.
DeleteAh. Is this new?
DeleteI must have badly misunderstood this statement:
"You can also make a self auction. Just auction a random item and put all your money on it. You lose 1$ when you do this. In the grand scheme of things, 1$ isn't a big deal. However, you're probably better off just buying a second account if you find yourself doing this often. "
You're right, that part makes no sense. I must have thought that you could self bid for some reason when I wrote that part.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteTour is always exciting and interesting. If it is night tour, it is more enjoyable. Night tour in new york city is really magical . The high line, a public park built on a historic freight rail line elevated above the streets on Manhattan’s west side is mind blowing. New york’s night harbor cruise, with awesome views of New york’s unforgettable skyline as well as opportunities to take up-clore and personal photos of status of liberty removes the monotonous of life. Anyone can see the beauty of Chinatown, soho and Green village by the luxurious coach. The tour will continue to gran central station and Rockefeller center which is exceptional for you. At last one can enjoy the sight of 50th street of New york city at night, you can’t believe your eyes. So everyone should go on a tour like New-york city in any age.
ReplyDeletetours in washington dc
Washington DC tours
Day and night tours washington dc
USA Guided tours