7/17/12

Blackthorne's Scabbard - Bugs crawling up on deck

Does Blizzard even know what a Scabbard is? See how much I sold this for after the jump.
Typos are on the horizon, matey
What a "hansom" belt we have here.

Yes, I am referring to the typo in this belt's flavour text. Quality work, Blizzard.

Back in the Diablo 2 days, whenever there was an exploit, or bug, or anything peculiar, my instant reaction would be, "How can I exploit this". I would have a simultaneous boygasm and nerdgasm as I rushed to the forums to figure out exactly what the bug was and how to exploit the exploit, while calculating the profitability margin in my head.

But 10 years later, after having learned a little bit about how software companies work and how to write code (my IRL job), I just feel a great sense of pity.

"Really? The stats of an unidentified item aren't properly encapsulated when showing the item on chat?" "Really? There are typos in the game that round non-zero values down to 0? Zero discipline regeneration per second is awesome."

I pity them because I've done the same things in my line of work. But to a much lesser extent. And especially not out the door to the public. Our QA guys are actually good. So why can't Blizzard get some proofreaders?

The Inside

The guy working on your PvP
Most people don't realize what goes on inside a software company. Let's demystify.

Myth one: The developers and managers who make code decisions don't care about your opinions on the forums.

Reality: It's not that they don't care. They simply have very little interaction with you. It's very hard to know what customers are thinking sometimes, even if there is a huge forum. And half the threads being "I'm quitting" sure doesn't help the situation. I'm sure that Blizzard developers aren't allowed to have official forum accounts because what would that do? The PR faces outwards, the coders face inwards. PR is responsible for trickling your opinions to the coders via the company hierarchy, but coders are busy developing your PvP. What's more important; PvP or "hansom"? This leads to the next point.


Myth two: Why aren't they making these 500 changes to the AH that we want? Why don't they understand that 3 search facets is crap!?

Reality: I'm sure that Blizzard completely understands what the Diablo 3 player is thinking. However, they also know way more things that we don't know. Like what's in the pipeline. What's the next patch going to have. And the fact is, they aren't obligated to tell us what these things are. Why should they? If they find a major issue with something they've already announced, then they have to go deal with a forum backlash of "why isn't this out yet".

If they don't fix the AH right now, it could be because they are rolling out everything in 1 shot (so they don't have to refactor code all day). Patch 1.05 might completely redo the AH, who knows. Give them some credit that they are trying to do it in the best way possible. We don't have all the information, so why make wild accusations?


Myth three: This bug is never going to be fixed.

Reality: It will be. Eventually. Bugs come down a pipeline, categorized, organized by importance, then assigned to developers. In other words, it gets triaged. Sometimes changing "hansom" to "handsome" is actually kind of a pain in the ass that could take 2 hours. Two hours away from developing PvP. So they just put it away for the next update.


Myth four: Wow, nothing came out this patch. Blizzard is on vacation.

Reality: Oh come on. These threads should just be deleted. Sometimes I work on features that take 3 months. Sometimes I make small changes that take a day and are so small that it's not even worth mentioning. Blizzard is the same way.



Myth five: The Blizzard customer service sucks and can't do a thing.
Blizzard CSR doesn't make you hold, they hang up on you
 Reality: The Blizzard customer service sucks and can't do a thing. It's true. I've dealt with them. The customer service reps aren't really enabled to do certain things, so they can't magically transfer you 20$ or 20m gold to your account. They just have a sheet of canned responses that they use to appease you.

So if you get scammed, then don't fall for it again. Some WoW players have this sort of "entitlement bubble" in which they think they should be protected from scams and exploits, but Diablo offers no such thing.

I get scammed all the time. I feel bad about it, I feel like a dumbass. It's okay to feel like an idiot sometimes. It helps you learn. Not only about the game, but about yourself. If you start throwing shit out windows or if you sulk for a day, then you need to man up and learn how to deal with things when they don't go your way. Stop being an entitled prick. There's worse things that can happen to you IRL at no fault of your own; learn to deal with bad things as they happen. Start being an adult.

I'm not saying scammers are benevolent spirits sent from heaven to teach us life lessons, but shit happens; don't expect an undo button.

/BlizzardSympathizer?

I'm not trying to defend Blizzard with this post. I think their forum presence is disgraceful, and there's plenty of problems with the game that they just need to fix right now. Every time a Winged Molok starts bugging out and teleporting and going invisible on me, I want to uninstall get annoyed. Maybe things get said on the forums. But I say those things in jest; after all, it's just a game.

Think about the game like if it was any other video game. You don't "quit" Max Payne 3, you just stop playing. Diablo 3 isn't a way of life, but some people are expecting it to be. It's perfectly fine to play other games while Diablo gets its groove back. Steam Summer Sale, anyone?


Scroll down to see how much I made on the belt.





















I bought 2 copies of Magicka with this


"You didn't talk about the belt at all! F*$# you!"

Ok, let's get back to the belt. Well... it's a seatbelt set belt. From Blackthorne's. It's green colored. Smells a little bit like an old orange rind. I think people wear the pants and the belt together, since the belt keeps the pants from falling off can roll high INT or DEX affixes. I'm a little surprised it sold for 20 bucks since it didn't have a resist all roll. Happy?



By popular demand

I'm going to list the scams that I unwittingly fell for. Laugh at me, commiserate with me, do what you like.


1. Someone tried to sell me a dex-roll Andarial's Visage (in D3) for 3m, and he did the trade swap for a str-roll. I kind of deserved that; it was only 3m after all. Thank you, benevolent being, for teaching me the meaning of greed. And I hope you get banned you son of a bitch.


2. I did not save 15% on my car insurance.


3. In Diablo 2, I traded 20 sojs for something that I can't even remember. Instead of putting up 20 sojs, I threw up 19 sojs and a Raven Spiral (worth maybe 20 sojs by itself). Rings are rings, they all look alike. Naturally the guy didn't say a word and went through with the trade. I scammed myself. XD


4. I bought a physical authenticator.

5. Someone tried to convince me that my "Eviscerator's Lock" was worth only 20m gold. He offered to throw in some white dyes, which in his words were, "From a special game event, you had to save the merchant to get these dyes". Seemed like a good deal at the time, so I traded him. No, I did not fall for this one; I'm not quite that stupid.




There ya go. Cheers.



14 comments:

  1. When you sell items like this, are you just starting them off with an opening bid at the lowest amount and no buyout? What's your usual strategy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a solid buyout price along with a 90% opening bid. I don't believe the RMAH has enough users currently to risk not getting max value on my items.

    How can this change? High-end players need to realize that they should be dealing with Bnet Balance Dollars instead of gold for their AH transactions. The RM market actually favors them at the moment. When more players do make that eventual shift, it will become more open to low starting bids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... in my experience the price on the RMAH is *usually* quite a bit higher than the price on the GAH. I sell very frequently in the RMAH but most of the time either keep it as balance or convert it to gold (as needed). Most of my purchases take place on the GAH though (although maybe that's because there's more bids to be sniped on the GAH).

    But you're right, people that avoid the RMAH altogether are dumb, even if you aren't interested in taking the money out with Paypal you can get more gold with the same sale a lot of the time...

    Noone seems to bid on RMAH items though, so as yun said it's generally best to set a mostly-static buyout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up with a 3-page long response to this, and then realized I could article-ize it. You'll have to wait for my response. XD

      Delete
  4. Really enjoyed reading your blog, and this post in particular about how things work in software companies. I'm a software engineer myself, and it's been a real eye-opener to see first hand how companies work internally. It's nice to see somebody else that understands the limitations and restrictions developers and customer service reps have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bit about scammers being benevolent spirits had me laughing hard, thanks lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought binding of isaac from steam summer sale with money earned fron RMAH. I felt almost pirate. Arghhh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like fun! Kinda like Super Meat Boy meats Zelda.




      ...meats Zelda. Hahaha, I'm so sorry.

      Delete
    2. Binding of isaac is a very addictive, cheap game. good combination ;)

      *In my hands super meat boy meets only death when i arrive in cotton valley (and im playing with joypad, doesn't help). :P

      Delete
  7. I hate when people misuse the word 'entitlement.'

    Entitlement is when you you want something you don't deserve - particularly something that other people have paid for and you have not.

    When it comes to something you *paid* for, you're *entitled* to the advertised service. Buying a movie ticket entitled you to watch a movie for example.

    Strangely many people like the OP seem to think buying the sequel to Diablo II doesn't entitle you to anything but a box with a corresponding title and mildly entertaining forum access.

    Good on you. Corporations need more consumers like you who confuse mooching off others with purchasing (and expecting to receive a product).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you're not entitled to scam protection in D3 (which is the only time I used "entitlement" here). It says so in its TOS. Only WoW has that kind of thing; I remember the scams I'd get away with in Guild Wars and D2, good times. :D

      As for being entitled to a fun game; well... at least I think the game is fun. There's flaws (lots of them, and I point them out whenever possible) but I still play the game.

      And there's plenty of games I bought that kind of sucked. Personally, I believe Uncharted 1/2/3 were the worst games ever. Too much grinding against cliffs.

      Delete
    2. Fast response, you should take a break, man.

      No, not entitled to scam protection, but the fact that so many systems are broken so badly is just disappointing. It's not hard to scam people - I know - i play way too much eve online.

      But having a trade window that doesn't function is just...damn lol.

      Delete
    3. Yea, the trade window is a joke. I've seen no less than 5 ways to exploit it. It's as if this game was Diablo 1.5 sometimes.

      Here's some more that annoy the hell out of me:
      1. Other game bugs. Why are demonic tremors faster than Teleport - Wormhole? I can only beat these guys by getting them stuck behind walls.
      2. Ease of shill bidding in the AH. It's so easy to force bidders to pay out their max bids through some simple math. Future post on this.
      3. There is no incentive for high level co-op. Which means I have no in-game friends besides the ones I made while I leveled my guys. (Poor me)
      4. The game is extremely gear-dependent, but you really have no way besides a fancy dps calculator (which aren't 100% accurate) to see if an item will improve you.
      5. AH, PvP, Dyes suck, you know the rest.

      Delete
  8. Keep up the writing. Love dropping by daily. :)

    ReplyDelete