See how much I sold these for after the jump.
![]() |
| Somebody bought these. Why? |
Now, I completely understand your reactions to that post.
"All you've told me is that crafting is profitable and to buy a recipe, what do I do now?" "I've crafted 500 times and I've gotten nothing, you lied about this." "How do I know what sells and what doesn't?!"
The answers to those questions are all the same. Here's how I answered it last time:
There's really only three ways you can know an item is good:
- You find it, and look on the AH to price compare.
- You need it; in that you have a guy that needs this kind of gear.
- You craft it. You craft so many pairs of these boots that you eventually see what's worth green and what's worth diddly.
As long as you keep an open mind and think about which affixes matter to each class and build, it just takes a little bit of time and experience to see what will sell and what doesn't. Think about it; who are you selling to? Other people who play the game. Other people like you. I'm sure you have a level 60 character. What you want in your boots is what they want in their boots. It's not that complicated. Figure it out yourself.
"But I'm lazy"
![]() |
| Get your hammocks in the hammock district |
I'm going to eventually tell you in detail what you want to know. The reason for that prior rant on self-determination is this: I'm not a benevolent being sent from Heaven to teach you life lessons. You gotta figure it out yourself. You have to make the connections, take the time to do AH lookups, and do the price comparisons to really know how much your stuff is worth. And this post will be structured in that way. I'm gonna make you do the work.
A boot in my mouth
Before we start, here's a disclaimer: I only craft boots.I can't exactly tell you what a good pair of pants are. I can only tell you if they look good on you. And yes, they definitely look good on you honey. (I've been trained to say this.)
So learn what you can, and apply the basic concepts I describe to other equipment types. Not that hard.
What a girl wants
![]() |
| What a girl needs |
1. Key affixes
Let's start off with the easy one.A key affix is any modifier that makes or breaks the item. Critical hit %. Move speed. Sockets. Any item which can have a socket, should have a socket (in order to sell for the best prices). So, for hat/bracers/shield/gloves, you want 4.5%/4.5%/7.5%/7.5% crit, respectively, on a crafted iLvl62 item. A shield/helm/pants/chest armor should have 1/1/2/3 sockets. The more key affixes you have, the more expensive your item will be.
2. Primary Attribute
Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence. And Vitality (to a lesser extent). Between Str, Dex, and Int, which is more important to which piece of gear? A handy guide can be found here. (Thanks to the guy on the forum that showed me this.) The guide shows you what the maximum value that each attribute can roll on a certain armor type.![]() |
| Shoulders can roll with maximum 300 strength. |
Helms roll with high int all the time. But not so much str or dex. Why? Because Blizzard said so. Hats make you smart, intelligent; think wizard hat. It makes sense... sort of.
The diagram above indicates that the max Intelligence the helm can have is 300. I'm not sure how they reached that number, but it's most likely through a combination of a high primary-roll + a high half-roll.
If you look at the other stats, a helm can only roll 200 dex or 200 strength. This means that a helm is generally more likely to roll high intelligence. Throw in some supply-demand economics, and voila, helms with intelligence rolls are now worthless on the AH.
No. I'm wrong. I lied. I just wanted to make sure you're paying attention. It doesn't mean that high int rolls are worthless. It just means that you need a very high int roll on a hat to be worth anything. It just means that a roll of 100 int might suck on a hat, but 100 dex might be amazing.Here's the TL;DR: The value of a Primary Attribute roll is based on the % of the Maximum value. A 150 dex roll (150/200 = 75% max) is worth much more than a 150 int roll (150/300 = 50% max). Get it? Simple stuff. Use the guide. Give credit to the guy who wrote it.
3. Damage reduction
II'm going to ignore the last 3 because they are more rare, and dodge is not a rollable affix. Bonus blocking % is important on shields, make sure you have it.
Ok, on to the more important stuff: Armor and resists. Resists come in 3 flavors.
- All resist. Everyone wants these.
- Physical/Fire resist. The majority of monsters do this type of damage. Arcane resist comes in at a close third place.
- Everything else. Monks want these for their One With Everything passive.
Again, I refer you to the guide to see what the max roll is for resists. You should price your stuff accordingly; different resists are worth different amounts. The list above is ordered in importance, so for example: Items with (All + Phys) > (All + Ice) > (All) > (Phys) > (Ice).
The other key point is that if you have gear that can be worn by a monk... ie, anything with a dex and vit roll, then having a secondary resist + all resist double roll becomes much valuable than just a single resist all roll. For a monk, the best items will have: Dex, Vit, Resist all, Resist X, Armor. Do not price your item against an inferior item that doesn't have Resist X.
Disclaimer: I'm not saying all monks use OWE. But most do, and they dictate the market.
3.5 Armor
Let's talk about armor. For me, this is the mythical "4th search facet". Yes, you can have a 4th search criteria if you simply click on the Armor column and sort by it.
Amazing right? Now you can look for 4 criteria at the same time. Of course, the prices are out of order, but at least you can see the items with high armor without digging through 50 pages.When you have an item that has an armor roll, I want you to price it accordingly. Don't just assume that the armor affix doesn't exist. The same goes for life regeneration. These attributes accumulate into something worthwhile, like this. It's important. So stop ignoring it. You will make more gold, and everyone is happy. I snipe plenty of items from the AH where the seller ignored Armor and Regen. Those two affixes can change the value of an item by 1000%. That's my secret. Tell it to all your friends.
Disclaimer: Armor and HP regeneration affixes can't turn a bad item into a good one. It only separates the good
4. Rare affixes.
![]() |
| The voice of reason shoots balls of frozen death at you? Makes sense |
Make sure you factor these in when you're selling something. This is doubly important on Shoulders and Belts where there aren't any key affixes. So go ahead and use that guide to see what the maximum % values are, I'm not going to tell you.
5. Magic Find
The more MF the item has, the more it's worth. Simple, right?No.
Let's roll back the clock 10 years, to the days of ye ol' Diablo 2. Ok hotshots, tell me how much a pair of 40% Chancies were worth.
| Bet you can't say its name 10 times fast |
![]() |
| Rarity (x-axis) vs Cost (y-axis) |
My point here is that you should price your items according to the curve. A perfect 20% mf roll on shoulders should be priced way higher than a 19%. You have a rare roll. Respect it. Don't just look on the AH and pricecut other auctions unless you want a quick sale. Post it at the price you think it deserves. Otherwise, I'll see your mistake and snipe it.
![]() |
| I sniped this at 500k. I kid you not. It's actually on the RMAH right now. Expect a post on this in the future. |
6. Gold Find
Here's the one that most players don't already know. Most of the times they don't sell for a ton, but they do sell quickly and it's easy gold.![]() |
| Price? 3m. It doesn't even have primary attributes. |
Almost any item with high Gold Find and Pickup Radius is worth something. A hat that has Gold Find, Pickup Radius, and a Socket (for GF Emeralds) like the one above is going to cost millions. Millions. It doesn't even need a primary attribute.Why do these items cost so much? Because gold farming in Nightmare Act 3 (and other places) is quite profitable. I even do it myself when I feel like hurting
![]() |
| Telekinesis has got nothing on 40 yard Pickup Radius. |
Gold farming is where you take a Demon Hunter (usually) and kill mobs in Nightmare. Why NM? Because it's easy. You gear up with items that increase gold find and pickup radius, so whenever something dies, you get a ton of gold, and your +40 yard pickup radius magically pulls it to your inventory. There are plenty of videos showing you how to do this, and where to do this. The obvious downside to doing these runs is that you can't really find any good items,
6.5 Gold Find - Part 2
There's actually two classes of Gold Find gear.- GF items to do NM speed runs with.
- GF items to do clear Inferno with.
Oh wait, those don't exist.
Ok, imagine a Demon Hunter that can clear Act 3 with ease. That's better. Now imagine that he is equipped head-to-toe with his exact same gear, but now each piece has the gold find affix on it. He's farming the same monsters, but now he gets piles of 2k-3k gold in addition to everything else. Awesome.
There are friends of mine who are geared this way and can make an extra 400k an hour from the gold alone. Of course, they get real drops too. They make NM gold runs look like a big joke. So, if you craft an item with gold find on it, and you would expect the item to be usable in Inferno... stick a hefty price on it! Inferno gold find builds are awesome. Price accordingly.
Am I missing anything?
Yeah, of course I am. I purposely left out much about specific sell prices, auctioning methods, and how to make sure your items gets sold and everyone else's don't. I've also got a great deal to say about how do sell things when you can only search on 3 (or 4) criteria. I'll save those for another post.![]() |
| How the f$%* do I sell these? |
[...] look on the AH to price compare.Take a look on the AH and make your best guess. Learn by doing. What's the worst that can happen? With the exception of a few unlucky people, nobody is pointing a gun to a player's head and saying, "farm or die".
When I started crafting, I was selling good boots with additional MF/Armor/Regen affixes like those mods didn't even exist. Crafting felt like a giant waste of time and gold.
It took me maybe a week to figure out what I was doing wrong; eventually, after tons of AH lookups and theorycrafting with friends, something just clicked and profitability just... happened. It felt good. I want to invoke that same feeling in you, so go learn the rest for yourselves.
Oh right, let's drastically change the topic back to those Valorous Striders. Scroll down to see how much they sold for.











WTF who buys this shit ??
ReplyDeleteeveryday item
Someoooone didn't read the post :D
DeleteI came to troll and was entertained. Damn you.
ReplyDeleteJust out of curiosity, do you equip magic find gear while crafting? I can't find any hard data on it, but I've seen it suggested that it improves the attribute values.
ReplyDeleteWell I do now, now that I know about it!
DeleteBut seriously, it doesn't make much sense to me based on how MF should theoretically work. I don't think anyone has shown that you get stronger affixes (either during crafting or fighting mobs) with more mf.
But I'll try it anyway since I craft so damn much.
Excellent post. I'm going to add you to my blog roll at: http://www.diablo3goldguide.net/
ReplyDeleteI would love to invite you to join our forums for free as well. We have a bunch of brilliant auctioneers who would probably have fun discussing tactics with you.
IMO life % is a hard one to price. The best way to value how much life % is worth for your toon would be to convert the life % gains into vit and add that on to the piece of equipment to get an approximate market value. But this is how buyers generally value life %.
ReplyDeleteAs the seller, it gets complicated. IMO you look at the other affixes your armor had rolled with to get an idea on which class or build can use those affixes. Then you need to know the approximate life range for these builds. So lets say a DPS barb would hover around 30k-40k life depending on how geared they are. Use the same method buyers use in converting life% and you have your price for that specific build. But i suppose this is easier said than done since we've got multiple classes, and multiple builds to read up on. Not to mention the possibility of a roll that can benefit 2 different kinds of builds, but the values greatly defer from one another. In this case i suppose thats where you would use the Bid function. But i personally don't like bidding. Too much pain, not enough profit... Maybe i'm just bad at it =(
That's a really good way to sum it up! You know your shit. :D
DeleteSome more points:
Life % is an additional affix beyond your basic 3 (primary/vit/resist). It's not easy to search on, so a seller can't just assume his 100 vit + 12% life shoulders are as good as 200 vit ones. Without 6 affix searching, life % is always going to be second-tier to vit in terms of price and popularity. Price accordingly.
As a buyer, I tend to snipe these high % life items because they get relegated to the bargain bin when nobody gives them a second look. Sometimes I just ignore the vit roll and go straight for items with Dex/Life%/Resist all. They are quite cheap and I win these all the time.
I agree with the first part of your comment, but with regards to winning bids for high life% items, i assume this is for the purpose of flipping them for profit. If these items are not easy to search on, how can we expect a quick and profitable flip? I mean an undervalued item that gets no attention might not be the best of investments. I've never actually thought about it this way so i'm wondering how it's been working out for you.
DeleteI'm saying that items with the % Life affix have a larger than normal potential for mispricings.
DeleteThe price whichI snipe these items at are usually low enough that I'm going to make a killing no matter what happens, so I simply just relist it on the AH in whatever way I see fit.
Sometimes these items do a while to sell; that's the downside to this practice, so I make sure what I'm buying is a damn good deal before I bite.
I'll give it a shot later. AH has been dry of good deals the past couple of days for me unfortunately =(
DeleteA bit off topic but would you still prefer act 2 over act 3 in terms of your average rare/time?
ReplyDeleteAct 3 has better drops. For a ranged class, I wouldn't really say a3 is even more difficult. It just takes some time to figure out how to fight them. I can beat invulnerable phasebeasts by either getting them stuck, or properly vaulting like a boss. There's plenty of tricks that just take some time and effort to learn.
DeleteWith that in mind, there's really no reason ever to do a1 or a2 unless a3 was just too difficult.
Brainfart - Posted a question in an old post (the one with the 11xx dps bow). You still read posts in old articles :D? Else please go have a look Yun!
ReplyDeleteI get an email whenever a comment occurs, so I do see them.
DeleteI love your blog!!! It's well organized and written :) funny as hell too
ReplyDeleteI picked up the plans for seven sins and I'm thinking of selling instead of crafting... What do you think? I feel like its more expensive to craft and less chance of getting something good :/
Hey man love the blog. speaking of gold find, i crafted these boots earlier and have had trouble coming up with a price for them on the RMAH. hoping you see this and that you could help me out!
ReplyDelete"Coveted Kicks" - 249dex // 66vit // 35phys resist // 40 resist all // 15% extra gold // 12% movespeed