7/16/12

Natalya's 3-piece - I had it before it was cool

You can call me a Nat's hipster. I was geared up with the set before it was even utterly broken, overpowered; 2 discipline per second wtf! cool and trendy. See how much I sold these for after the jump.
Drool-worthy crit chance
Grenades damage? What are grenades?

Why Nat's?

The first thing to explain is what a certain patch did to change Nat's set. Conveniently enough, the Nat's helm screenshot was taken pre-patch, and the Nat's cloak screenshot was taken post-patch. For you eagle-eyes out there, you can probably notice the difference in the 4-piece set bonus.

Yes, they buffed the Discipline Regeneration from 0 per second to 2 per second (for a gain of INFINITY PERCENT).


Ok I lied. Sort of. The 0 was just a rounding error from 0.67, and the purpose of the patch was to fix rounding issues like this one. However, some smart-aleck intern must have fiddled the number to 2, because that's the new (and current) set bonus.

Let me tell you how overpowered 2 discipline per second is. Here is the traditional example:
2 discipline per second + 1 natural regen = 3 total discipline per second.
If you used Vault with the Tactical Advantage passive (+60% movespeed after a Vault for 2 seconds), and then ran for 2 seconds using the bonus movespeed, you would consume 8 discipline in about 2.5 seconds (there is an additional half a second for vault to complete). Over that 2.5 seconds, you would regenerate 7.5 of that discipline back. In other words, you can pretty much move at +100% move speed indefinitely.
 That's not all. The same effect applies for Shadow Power - Gloom. As long as you cycle it properly and have a large enough discipline pool, you can keep it going for half a minute. 30 seconds of taking only 1/3 damage and having 20% life steal? You suddenly go from an archer to an indestructible tank.

Without nat's
With nat's

Shadow Power costs 14 discipline and lasts 3 seconds. In those 3 seconds, you would regenerate 9 discipline; this means that you end up consuming 14 - 9 = 5 discipline every 3 seconds, with a 14 discipline starting cost. If I had 50 discipline, then I could cast this for 3 +[(50-14) * 3/5] = ~25 seconds. (The reason I do the math that way is to compensate for the 14 flat cost (rather than a cost per second), which means that you can't actually cast Gloom when you fall under 14 discipline)
Of course, you can keep it going much longer if you don't just spam it all day, and rather only cast it when you are about to get hit.

The Third Set Piece

That's enough talk about the absurdity of Nat's. This is a blog about shit people buy after all.

As the title says, why was I running around in 3-piece Nat's before the set became good?

The short answer is that I found a pair of Nat's boots. I forced myself to use the set because the boots were sweet. I like shoes, alright?!
Shoes!
I don't have the screenshot of my own Nat's boots, but they were also a dex roll like this one.

Let me tell you, 3-piece Nat's was the utter shit. And by shit I mean it sucked. I'm pretty sure I could have bought 3 rares at 500k each and it would have been stronger than this set. You'll probably notice that my hat even has a crit chance roll. Yes, I was wise enough to buy this sucker a long, long time ago (you don't want to know how little I paid for it). Well anyways, the set still sucked for me. I was only using it because I looked like a deranged batman.

full nat's set
Yes, it did suck. But I wore it anyways. So why did I sell 3 pieces of armor that I was actually wearing?
  • The set was kind of a trap; I had to wear all 3 pieces or nothing. The +130 dex set bonus is what made you want to use it, so you couldn't just wear one piece or two. So every time I would find a good chest piece or hat, I couldn't use it since I didn't want to stop using the entire set. 
  •  Here's the real reason, and this reason pops up over and over again: I went on vacation for 2 days and just popped them on the AH at an absurd price for laughs.
    Now, you probably will understand why the 3 pieces sold in about 15 minutes. My chest had a reasonably good dex roll, the boots had a very rare dex roll (at the time), and my hat had a crit roll which is about as good as it gets. And conveniently enough, that patch made 4-piece Nat's a working concept, which skyrocketed the value of my items even more. I came back from vacation to look upon a naked Demon Hunter. I should have rolled a female one.

    So how much did I make? Scroll down.






















    Paid for my staycation

    1 comment:

    1. I would like to sell on the US Auction House too,
      but sadly thats not possible.

      The EU Auction House is not full of those dumb people buying everything overpriced :(

      ReplyDelete