One man's journey from rags to slightly better (and cleaner) rags in the world of RMAH.
7/12/12
Centurion's Strike - Bait and switch
This item wasn't the first item I put up on the RMAH, but it's definitely the most tragic. See how much I sold this for after the jump.
oooh, 4 digit damage!
Before I tell you how much it sold for, here's a little bit of context.
You'll probably notice that I sold this item a looooong time ago. Those sherlocks out there can probably deduce that it's pre-1.03, as there is a now-impossible 22% IAS modifier on it. I feel bad for whoever bought it, since that 22% got nerfed down to 10%. Let's see how much of a hit they took.
Here's what the damage was pre-patch:
Base attack speed * IAS boost * (average weapon damage):
1.4*1.22*(382+904)/2 = 1098 (woohoo it matches)
Post patch:
1.4*1.10*(382+904)/2 = 990 (ouch)
My awesome 4 digit damage weapon is now a measly 3 digit piece of crap! You can probably see why people want to sue blizzard for bait and switch tactics.
pre-patch
post-patch
But at the time, the sword looked pretty good; it's got high damage, the attack speed scales well with a strong wizard offhand, and best of all, it's got a GREAT name! Centurion's Strike. It just rolls off the tongue like an oversize gumball that you can't possibly manage in your mouth. It even has bonus critical hit damage, whatever that is. Remember that before the ias nerf, very few people actually cared about crit damage and the ridiculous dps numbers that it could provide. In a later post I'll talk about the first item I sold for 250$, and how now it would be considered a near useless item because of the lack of bonus critical hit damage.
Anyways, my point is that it was a pretty good sword in 1.02, especially when you had to actually be good at the game have a level 60 Demon Hunter to farm iLvl 63 items. Of course, once you drag it into 1.03, it's just a 990 dps sword with 54% bonus crit damage. You might even be able to find a blue magical item that matches it for 500k gold. (I'm just randomly guessing. The point is that it ain't expensive at all)
No comments:
Post a Comment