7/22/12

Prey Deed - Padding is not just for bras

That's quite a bit of dps. But what's that crappy gem doing in there? See how much I sold this for after the jump.

Update: The second half of this post is now correctly showing up because I just wrote it.
Oh boy, oh boy, a weapon that doesn't suck
Finally, a weapon that someone might actually use. It's got a solid dps, and the socket means that we can add up to 100% bonus critical hit damage. A perfect weapon for anyone who wants to see some big damage numbers pop up, but at the same time be able to shoot really, really fast.

I actually acquired this bow on the gold AH. Someone put it up for a buyout of 9.5m, which at the time was 3m cheaper than it should have been. I figured with about 50m sitting around, I could afford to pick up some more Chipotle™  burrito money. Here's a breakdown of how I like my healthy burrito bowl:
  1. Extra black beans, no rice. I eat pintos at home, so I go for the difference.
  2. Veggies. Bell peppers and onions to make sure the gf doesn't start eating my bowl (she hates both).
  3. Either steak or chicken as my protein. Depends on what I had last time.
  4. Hot salsa, and a little bit of mild. It makes the veggies less bland.
  5. Lettuce on top.
  6. Bonus: Chipotle style Tabasco hot sauce. This is good on everything.
It's by far the best combination for a Chipotle that is both healthy and doesn't make me want to throw it back up. In another post I'll tell you what I think the best burrito combination is. Stay tuned...





Oh right, this blog is about Diablo 3 items. Lets dive right on in then.

Padding

Safe and Effective Way to Enlarge - Your Bust Line Profits!
Disclaimer: This post is about taking advantage of minor AH bugs. These bugs can be fixed at any time. But it's Blizzard we're talking about; it'll be a year minimum.

When an item has a socket, you can load it with a gem before you throw it on the AH. When a buyer searches by affix facets, the affix that the gem provides will allow your item to show up on the search even if the weapon itself did not naturally have this affix. I call this padding.
Let's go through the 4 possibilities.
  1. Emerald: This adds critical damage bonus to your weapon. When people search for critical damage bonus (a popular affix), now your item will show up! This is usually how I pad items.
  2. Topaz: Uh... I don't know what this does in a weapon let's just skip this.
  3. Amethyst: This adds Life on Hit. I will only add an Amethyst if the weapon is already very good, but its LoH value is low. I want to inflate the LoH so people searching can find it. Because the weapon is good, it will convince them to buy mine even when the LoH is low. It gives my weapon a fighting chance.
  4. Ruby: Ok. This is where things get ugly. Take a look at the picture below.
That scoundrel! And I'm not referring to that clever bastard from Kingsport
Rubies will make your weapon move up on the AH results list, when sorted by dps.The guy with "Archer's Blast" is selling it with a socketed ruby to purposely move it up the list. I consider this bad padding.  And worse, when you highlight Archer's Blast, it will show the a "false" DPS. Take a look:

Fuck this guy
When I want to sort by DPS, I actually want to sort by DPS. Anyone who does this is borderline cheating in my book. It's false advertising. You shouldn't do it. It confuses the hell out of me; why are you making my life more difficult when you want me to buy your stuff? If I see it, I'm not going to buy your item even if it's well priced. 


How is a Ruby more misleading than an Emerald? Well, an Emerald isn't messing up the display order of search results. An Emerald is generally what you are going to put in the weapon anyway. Nobody puts a ruby in a weapon to use it past level 59. If you put a ruby in a weapon, I hate you. I think what these bad-padders fail to see is that they're just confusing people and making the entire AH experience even worse than it already is. I'm not going to buy from someone who is antagonizing me. Well, unless I visit Dick's Last Resort.


Padding your armor

This guy's armor is padded with the "I'll never get laid" gem
The same concept can be applied to armor. If your chest/pants/shield have sockets, then figure out which class would use it, and throw the corresponding gem in it. The gem will bump up the primary attribute, and make searches more likely to find your item. Likewise, if you have a Magic Find hat with a socket, make sure you put a Topaz in it. And if you have a Gold Find hat with a socket, put an Emerald in it.
Let's use this chest armor as an example. Adding 3 flawless square rubies will add 3 * 34 = 102 strength to this chest, for a total of 102 + 115 = 227 Strength. Not bad. If you don't do this, then most searches will not find your armor: When players search for gear on the AH, they make the assumption that the sockets have gems in them, and look for correspondingly high attribute values. If I wanted to pick up a chest armor, I would go scam someone use a 200+ Strength search criteria, which couldn't find The Ravager if it had no gems in it.

Set a breakpoint

People don't search for Chest Armors with 152 strength or more. They type in round numbers. So strategize accordingly. Let's say the armor up there only had 97 base strength + 3 sockets. If you threw in 3 flawless square rubies, you would get 3 * 34 + 97 = 199 Strength.

Fail.

Players searching with a 200 minimum Strength criteria aren't going to see your armor. So what do you do? Find a couple more flawless square rubies and craft a perfect square. This gives a total of 2 * 34 + 36 + 97 = 201 Strength. Perfect. Now people can find your armor.

You should do this for MF and GF hats as well. If your hat has extremely good affixes, then I would recommend upgrading your Topaz/Emerald a couple of times before throwing it in. You want to show players trying to buy a 19%-base MF hat that your 18%-base MF hat is just as good, if not better. Just be aware that upgrading gems gets costly, so don't fluff your hat if it isn't fancy.


The prime evil

I'm not referring to her him
Why isn't this practice deceptive? Aren't your manipulating the search? Why isn't it cheating?

Well, it is deceptive to some degree, but I argue that it's actually necessary right now. Why?

Because you can only search on 3 criteria. Padding on armor is mandatory because it implicitly adds value to the sockets. When you can only search on 3 criteria, the three you are going to pick are Primary, Vitality, and Resist all. You won't search on sockets. Padding needs to exist because it will reveal how many sockets there are through a corresponding increase in the primary stat. While the 3-criteria restriction is around, padding is a necessary evil.

So really, it's Blizzard's fault. All they had to do was to ignore the gems' attributes when a search is performed. Or increase the number of criteria. They should really get on that.

See how I cleverly avoided the moral dilemma of padding? Scroll down to see how much the bow sold for.



























Yum, I bought 2 Chipotle burritos with this

18 comments:

  1. hi, im wondering how u made ur gold these days ? it seems that my items on rmah / gah arent selling much as it did last time.. ive been crafting 6 slots belts recently .. but it seems that my rng is rather bad and partly it may be due to me not being to grasp which stats combination sell best..

    lastly , like to know what considerations do u make before putting up an item in rmah instead of the gah ?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The post going up today should answer most of your questions.

      But I'll address your RMAH/GAH question:

      It's a combination of factors: Do I need more gold? Which market will sell it better? Do I already have a bunch of similar things being sold on the RMAH? Is the item even expensive enough to even bother selling on the RMAH?

      Delete
  2. Hey Yun. First of all - great blog, insanely interesting. The way you write makes me wonder if you are a journalist in real life?.

    Anyhow, These items that you post? Did they sell recently or are you stocking up stories? I have some insane items on both Gah and RMAH, and I honestly don't feel like im overpricing them at all. Quite the opposite to be honest. I compare with AH, i undercut and i do not post crap as the other 90% does, but what is going wrong?
    Allow me to refere to a couple of items i have for sale:
    2 hand xbow; 256-596 poison dmg, 24% dmg, 78 str, 51 int (affix zzz)
    - 169 dext
    - LoH 133
    - socket (ofc i put in a 60% gem to paddle as you say)

    Priced it at 34.99 bid / 46.99 BO (too much? what would accurate price be?)

    Amulet:
    - 222 dex
    - 116 int
    - 34% gf
    - Melee attackers take dmg 124
    - Crit hit chance 7.0%
    Bid: 10 / bo 19.99.

    Too much?

    Just a few examples of my items/pricing - Am i actually posting crap or are my prices way out of line? Obviously I have loads of these items for sale (or stashed), but i barely manage to sell 1 item a week on rmah (gah is going a bit better making a couple of mills a day)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sell date on the final sale will tell you when I sold the item; usually it will be a recent sale unless I'm digging an old one out of the archives for some specific reason. As you can tell, the sales are really just lead-ins for whatever topic I want to talk about.


      What's the total dps on the xbow? I'm guessing that it's around 1100, but am not certain.

      The amulet seems like it's overpriced; it doesn't really have a role besides as a gold find amulet. If it had bonus critical damage on the other hand...

      My biggest tip for trying to sell stuff on the RMAH: Don't assume that other players' prices are legitimate. You have to set your own prices and believe in them. Sometimes I have to undercut heavily in order to sell my RMAH items, because everyone else is severely overpricing them. Other times I get forced to sell the item on the GAH because everyone is trying to lowball each other on the RMAH.

      Delete
    2. Alright. YEah the total dps on the xbow is 1100. Do you think that its priced too high? You may be right about the amulet, I have some absolute insane gloves for sale on AH aswell, but I may have overpriced them with a 79.99 BO - Don't feel like a generally overprice (the amulet may be a bad example tbh, i can see that)

      Delete
    3. Just do a conversion in your head: 46.99$ = ~25m gold. Does the xbow go for 25m on the gold AH?

      After a couple of days of no-interest, you might want to start dropping the prices or looking for a different method of selling it (or just move on). I've got an amulet with 300 dex some other mods that I've had absolutely no luck selling. I just stopped listing it after a week since it was taking up a slot.

      Delete
    4. Gloves:
      + 220 dex
      + 73 int
      + 31 phys resistance
      + Crit hit damage 25%
      + 11% magic find
      + Crit chance 8.5%
      79.99 bo

      Oh well - It's probably my prices. Guess after looking through the items they do seem a bit too high. You just make some weird sales (and alot of them?) its really hard to see what should be priced at what heh :)

      Anyways, lf to future articles from you.
      Kind regards.

      Delete
    5. That's true. But according to your logic, hmm - I actually do believe the xbow would be somewhere between 18-25m (again, may be my crappy pricing). So possibly it is a bit too high. hmm.
      Well as you say, stop re-listing too much and lower prices i guess. Thanks for the quick response also :)

      Delete
    6. Yea I make quite a bit of sales, so sometimes the prices are just lucky. It's also because I don't post chronologically.

      There's a piece for my first 250$ item that I'm doing and it will look completely absurd that a piece of crap like that would sell for so much. But if you consider that it was on the first day, then it makes a little bit more sense.

      Most people give me crap about the 300$ nat's set, and I agree that it was absurd. But, again, given the timing of the sale, it seems more plausible.

      PS. The high quality xbow market is a little bit flooded on the RMAH side. I've been following that one quite carefully.

      Delete
    7. Hey Yun,

      Thanks for the awesome reads!

      Speaking of chronologically, can you flip a switch or add a PHP statement somewhere to display the date you posted each of article?

      I think it'd be nice to know the date you posted (and perhaps updated) each article, so we can look up the appropriate gold/$:Chipotle goodness conversion rate on those dates, to get an idea of much *dough* you made.

      Mmmm, burrito bowl...Thank god they're in Ontario!

      Context is king, and I believe date stamps would be awesome for that.

      Delete
    8. I can turn on the post date, but the sale has a date on it from the screenshot. do I really need a stamp for the post date?

      Delete
  3. The calculation between euro and gold is actually a good tip. Didn't do that much before now.. Ok ill stop spamming ur forum now hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to the forums and find my b.net id, you can just add me in-game for theorycrafting. There's no guarantee that I'll be on though :D

      http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6079751942?page=1

      Delete
  4. Hi yun!

    So, what gem did you end up using for the socket? That flawless square emerald?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, but only out of habit.

      It didn't really need it: If it only has a socket and nothing else, the weapon gets relegated to the "weapons with only a socket" group, which don't need to be padded. People will be searching on this weapon type with the "has sockets" affix rather than critical hit damage, so I'm not really making the weapon any more visible for people.

      Delete
  5. Hi Yun,

    Great blog, great read and great humor. You have some fans in the Netherlands!

    I have some questions regarding D3, and I think you are the perfect guy to ask them to:

    1. I assume you 'flip' items on the AH, and if so, do you also 'flip' items on the RMAH?

    2. Do you heavily use the functionality to 'bid' on items? And how is this compared between AH and RMAH?

    3. Sometimes I have troubles determining the correct buy-out for my items, especially with very good crafts. Do you think that 'no buyout - only bid' is a viable option for these situations?

    4. Do you sell/buy/trade a lot through the ingame chat options?

    Thanks in advance. Keep on writing!!!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. All the time. I keep a large B.net dollar balance on my account so I can snipe 'em when I see 'em. A couple of recent closes: A 8$ bow for 25$, and 10m axe for 40$. Easy burritos.

      2. I don't think I've had a bid war on an RMAH item yet. Only sniped at the last second or sniped buyouts. But I bid (and fight) on GAH items all the time.

      3. It's kind of a cop-out, but it works. Just make sure you have a popular item that people will actually search for. I've got an amulet with 300 dex and 6.5% crit that I would never do this with, simply because of it's unpopularity. I'm working on the article for this amulet right now, it'll be up in a day or so.

      4. Never. As much as I don't want to, I usually keep to myself in the game; the general chat spam clutters my chat and prevents me from catching private messages from real people, and the sheer amount of trade screen scams make in-game trading an unprofitable venture. /hasNoFriends

      Delete
  6. Hey Yun, I've read your posts (several times, actually) and I really enjoy the blog. I haven't had the same success at selling on the RMAH as you, with the exception of a recent $9.99 sale. I stumbled upon a good chest armor (in my opinion, at least). I was wondering if I could get your opinion on how much to list it for. Here are the stats: 418 Armor
    +57 Arcane Resistance
    +10% life
    +16% extra gold
    Regenerates 116 life per second
    Health Globes grant +8604 life
    2 sockets (I've been thinking of padding with 2 flawless/perfect square emeralds)
    Item level: 63

    I think that it could be worth quite a lot of money, but I'd appreciate your input. I've searched for comparable items, but haven't found anything too close to it (the only one had a starting bid of $75 and buyout of $100+). I look forward to your response, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete